Health and Wellbeing in Schools – Update March 2019
After many years of campaigning and lobbying by educators, organisations, health and Public Health practitioners for statutory relationships, relationships and sex education and health education, The Department of Education has published the statutory guidance.
The draft guidance, which is awaiting final parliamentary sign-off, will be compulsory from September 2020.
So what now?
· Read the guidance - attached
· Review what is being taught now
· Plan for updates, training, policy updates and resources ready for September 2020
· Celebrate that every child in England will learn how look after themselves physically and mentally and how to make positive relationships now and in the future.
Schools can contact the Health and Wellbeing in Schools team to discuss the new guidance, training opportunities and resources for 2020.
West Berkshire Wellbeing Workshops are available to develop knowledge and understanding to support delivery of the new Health curriculum.
· Core elements of children’s healthy lifestyles ( primary)
· 5 Ways to Wellbeing
· Understating substances misuse
· Sleep Well, Live well
Support and guidance
· PSHE Association – curriculum guidance, training and lesson plans
· Sex Education Forum – curriculum and policy guidance and training
· Alcohol Education Trust – curriculum guidance, lesson plans, resources and training
· DO – lesson plans and curriculum development
In this issue of the Hub discover more about Sleep, (now part of the health curriculum), local running events and how the Year 3 Healthy lifestyles workshops are being delivered in West Berkshire.
Health and Wellbeing in Schools
Health and Wellbeing in Schools Programme